 Off-Topic / Debate / 13276
Re: What we can do... (my 2 cents)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:56:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
Examples of Arab influence are all but scarce around here. And I'd even risk
saying that the New World was colonized by europeans thanks to an arab
invention: the lateen sail, said so because of the use the Southern European
nations made of it. And it is arguable that England or France would send
expeditions due West if Spain and Portugal hadn't done it first...

   Actually, this made me think of one other thing:  Spanish
   colonial policy.  It's been pretty well proven (by Patricia
   Seed, if memory serves) that the Spanish tried very hard to
   emulate the government of the Caliphates in their dealings
   with the Nahua.  I'm not sure if it was really conscious or
   if it was just the only system they knew, but the parallels
   are really striking and apparently account for most of the
   major differences between Iberian colonial policy and its
   French, Dutch, and English counterparts (especially as
   regards the hybridization of cultures and ethnicities).

   best

   LFB