 Off-Topic / Debate / 13260
  Re: The big lie

(...) You are wriggling. What about the cases where the airport is private, you think they should set their own levels of security? Do you oppose the plan to place government “air marshals” in planes? Do you think private security guards would be (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) Yes. (...) Yes. (...) Yes. Or armed passengers if the airline so chooses. (...) No. But it should also not shield airlines from lawsuits for negligence and wrongful death if the airlines don't put sufficent standards and safeguards in place. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) I'm still resolving that part of the issue for myself, but it puts me in mind of the other side of the coin: Since the airlines are primarily private corporations, and the aircraft are their property, they are well within their rights (correct (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) Yes. And a fully private system with airlines and airports each making individual decisions on this may well be significantly more complex to administer and track. At least at first. (hmm... I'm flying to Hobby today... that means pack my (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) Err...at the risk of being completely obtuse...I'm just curious: are you coming back to town this weekend? james, who doesn't know what either flechettes or tranqs are, but otherwise gets the point that firearm regulations under different (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) Not unless flechette guns have already been cleared for use at Hobby. :-) that was a hypothetical example, I just chose a city with two airports that I could remember the names of so that the reroute made sense. (...) A flechette gun (not sure (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) That's a pity. I was hoping I could talk you into a day trip to Austin for the Texlug meeting. Speaking of Hobby, about 8 years ago one of my closest friends, B, was dropping off one of his friends at Hobby who was catching a plane to St. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  bailout (was Re: The big lie)

(...) I really do worry about the support the airlines are getting. I know the last few weeks have been tough for them, but the fact is that that the 4 flights which were lost on the 11th were flying from good slots but yet they were no where near (...) (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The big lie

(...) "Good morning Mr Mohamed Atta, you can certainly board the flight with your large licensed gun. We have reserved your seat right up front next to the cockpit. By the way, why is your passport made out of asbestos?" Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)