 Off-Topic / Debate / 12784
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 06:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Ross, your stance here completely baffles me. You're nitpicking against
taking action

On the contrary, I summarised what I think is appropriate action here
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12670

There's no plan there. You say that you support trying them but you haven't
addressed what to do if the Taliban, even after being presented with clear
and credible evidence (assuming it can be developed) that anyone else would
accept, thumbs their nose and says you can't have him.

So you're nitpicking against taking action.

Huh??? Yes, I'm against military action. That doesn't mean I'm against action.

but you (and Jason) haven't proposed any concrete plan of your
own other than (paraphrasing and guessing) "right all the injustice in the
world everywhere and the murderers will stop murdering". Please explain how
that would work. I don't see it.

Does "concrete plan" == "the right response"?

We do need to right injustice. We do need to examine our policies, internal
and external. But now is not the time.

On the contrary, I think we've just been shown it *is* the time.

Please elaborate. Why now rather than after bringing the fever down?

Because thinking about it now will reduce the needless deaths which will
just mount up the longer we leave it.

It will take years and trillions of dollars to do this war. It may cost in
real dollars as much as WW II did. I think the people of America are ready
to spend that though. We are slow to anger as a nation but our anger is a
mighty thing once aroused.

It will probably also cost a comparable number of innocent lives, many of them
American. Are you ready to spend that much? I'm not.

No one is, at this juncture, asking you to. Take it up with your government
if and when they decide to support the US and you don't agree. America will
no doubt have to bear the brunt of this expense just like we always do. So
be it. It is the burden of Empire. Ask Kipling.

1. List all the wars in history.
2. Put a tick against those for which America bore the brunt of the human
expense.
3. Have another look at your last paragraph.

I'd prefer that we be an inward looking Republic but the world may not allow
us to do so and if we have to save the rest of the world (again) at our own
expense to make things safe, why then I guess we will just have to do so.

And I'm not ready to deny
these people the right to a fair trial, just because they deny me that right.

Nor am I.

And yet you're happy for America (and whoever wants to help) to launch bombs
in many countries, and likely kill hundreds of thousands of people without a
trial, justifying it with words like "it was war" and "they started it"?

The first bombing of Afghanistan needs to be with leaflets. It needs to
explain what happened and what is about to be done and offer a choice. Rise
up, aid the cleansing force, overthrow the Taliban, or be part of the
infection, and be cleansed.

And what if they really want to, and give it their best shot (presumably with
help from NATO, etc), but fail? And do you think bin Laden and his precious
Taliban will sit idly by while they're trying? I don't think this is a fair
ultimatum at all, and will just end up with more innocent deaths on both >sides.

OK, what do you suggest then if you support trying them but aren't willing
to actually go arrest them? Let's hear something concrete. That post you
referred to above wasn't it. Posit for the sake of the discussion that bin
Laden is guilty, and that the Taliban says "screw you". (neither of those is
established yet) Now what?

I ask "what if"s and you call me a nit-picker. All I've heard from anyone
hear is "lets go and launch an attack on all rogue states and those known to
harbour terrorists". I think that's no more concrete than "attempt to arrest
the and try the known terrorists, and look at where foreign policy can be
changed for the better". What do you advocate doing when they retaliate
again? Another round of missiles? You really think they can be totally
eliminated?

Let me try another way to describe where I'm coming from.

Lets say Taya (sp?) and Julia have a disagreement. It starts getting a bit
heated, and Nick walks in. He sides with Julia, and Taya asks him to butt
out. But he keeps on, and he & Julia start saying some really nasty stuff,
Taya's getting really upset now, and lashes out, kicking Nick. Hard.

Nick runs inside to dad, crying and obviously hurting pretty bad, what do
you do? Do you recommend going in & beating the living daylights out of
Taya? Obviously not, because it doesn't solve any problems, and you end up
with two badly hurt kids, who think violence is the answer to such situations.

Maybe you explain to Nick that he's just experienced the consequences of not
stopping when he was asked, and leave it at that, but that's probably not
appropriate either, as it hasn't addressed what Taya's done wrong, or the
original problem between Taya & Julia.

You've got to come up with some way to show all of them they've done the
wrong thing. You've got to show Taya that it was wrong to kick Nick, but
you've also gotta try & sort out why Julia & Taya were arguing in the first
place, and why it was wrong for Nick to jump in when it wasn't anything to
do with him.

It's a difficult problem, with no simple step-by-step solution. They're all
individuals, and will react differently to different solutions.

ROSCO