 Off-Topic / Debate / 12495
  British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Well that's what it the Government called it at the time! A state owned business was split up and the parts were either sold, floated or transferred under franchises. Of course you are right that Railtrack is a monopoly but it's still (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Yes. But calling something X doesn't make it X. Unless you agree that California recently "deregulated" its power industry. (...) I totally agree with that! In our country the FCC seems bent on engineering the "correct" number of wireless (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Just for clarification (since there's no way to defend CA's policy): can a system be referred to as "deregulated" if regulations are removed; ie: reduced regulation = deregulation, or is it necessary for *all* regulation to be removed; ie: no (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't have enough information on that. I'm interested because I have a fair few friends who it affects and I've tried to follow the situation in the Economist and other places but failed. My point was as set out below - You appear to be (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't. I think it is plain wrong! From: (URL) sale of government-owned equity in nationalised industries or other commercial enterprises to private investors. The sale may either transfer all the equity to private ownership, or the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in practice, not theoretical Libertarian privatization, which I would agree would function more effectively than the half-assed privatization Railtrack represents (but, I would also argue, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJGLDJ.5nz@lugnet.com... (...) You might have guessed that in the UK, airports are privatised too! www.baa.co.uk owns 7 british airports including Heathrow And also owns or manages under (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in (...) Except for, as I said, how do you incentivise the public sector to deliver value for taxpayers money? When BR knew it had the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)