 Off-Topic / Debate / 12060
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:54:14 GMT

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about certain things, and just accept
some philosophical assertions because there is utility to doing so.

Right. One good thing Scott did, long ago, was provide a link to David
Friedman's(1) site, which among many other good things, provides a good
example of how natural rights don't always work out, and then demonstrates
how you can use a cost benefit (utilitarian) analysis to show that it's
vastly more efficient to always use rights based calculus even if there are
problems at the boundaries. At least that was my take on it.

Tell ya what though -- would everyone doubting the asserted foundational
principles of "life, liberty, and property" please send me ALL of their
lego.  I am sure I can put it to better use -- and if you don't want to
"own" it, I will!

Hey now... you're going back on our deal, we split it 50-50!!! :-)

1 - yes that Friedman, he's Milton's son.