 Off-Topic / Debate / 12049
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:29:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:

Here's a nice story for you, I'm glad this guy didn't waist time to ask if
the intruder was looking for a slice of bread.

Gregory Jenkins of Antioch, Tennessee, was awakened by the sound of breaking
glass early Monday morning.  He got out of bed, grabbed his gun, and went to
investigate.  He saw that the window of his back door had been broken.
Someone was trying to get in!

Jenkins wasted no time.  He fired several shots at his back door.  Someone
outside shot at him.  Jenkins returned fire--and hit 23-year-old Eddrick
Cleveland in the chest.

Thank heavens it wasn't you chasing Eddrick Jenkins.

Cleveland is now food for worms.  He died after his cousin, Donnie Lee
Rucker, took him to a local hospital.  Rucker was arrested and charged with
attempted aggravated robbery.  Police have determined that the shooting was
justified.  Cleveland and Rucker were both armed with rifles when they
approached Jenkins' house.  They had apparently been looking for drugs and
money.

Right.  He was justified as it turned out.  But if it had been a fireman
he'd be hauled away.  The point you are not getting is that this is about
"I'm going to fire first and ask questions later" with the odd belief that
questions aren't actually going to be asked later.  They will be.  Wanna
fire blind?  At least he had a clue about breaking glass and presumably no
one trying to identify themselves.

Three cheers for Gregory Jenkins!  His aim was true.  He didn't keep the
ammunition separate from his gun.  He didn't have a trigger lock on that
gun.  Thanks to his quick action, this dangerous predator won't live to
terrorize the residents of Antioch again.

And good riddance, but I can dredge up a report on someone's kid getting
shot because the trigger lock wasn't on the loaded gun, or someone shooting
their auntie, or an emergency worker.  You may find me one day having
blasted an intruder in two with my 12 gauge.  It doesn't really change my point.

Bruce