 Off-Topic / Debate / 12050
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:32:34 GMT

The right to bear arms, as described in our Constitution, was created at a
point in history when the only personal firearm was a muzzle loader (musket
or rather large pistol). Therefore, since times and technology have changed,
I say the right should remain but be narrowed to exclude handguns and
automatic weapons for the simple reason (and fact) of their common use in
thousands upon thousands of crimes, injuries and killings annually in our
country.

You are absolutely right. In fact, why stop there? Since so many crimes
involve cars (have you ever heard of a get-away bicycle), we should ban private
ownership of cars as well. And since the right to drive is not guaranteed
anywhere in the Constitution, we don't even have to vote on it. It could just be
decreed.

Sorry for the sarcasm, it's just that I get a little upset when people suggest
we ban an item (such as a gun) because of the behavior of a certain segment of
society, namely criminals.

We see so many lawsuits against gun manufacturers now, I'd like to see one
against the automotive industry. It could follow the same EXACT logic as the
gun-banners use in their arguments:

1) Carmakers make cars.
2) Carmakers sell cars.
3) People use cars to kill people (drunk drivers, for example)
4) Carmakers know in advance that a certain number of the cars they sell will be
used by drunk drivers to kill others.
5) Carmakers do not screen prospective buyers strictly enough to weed out the
drunks.
6) Therefore, carmakers are responsible for the deaths caused by their products.

Again, sorry if I came off a bit uptight. I think this debate is good for
everyone if it gets people to think logically.

Henry