 Off-Topic / Debate / 12042
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:37:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

That argument won't stand up in court.  Well, maybe it will in Texas...

Here’s where I got this: http://64.78.178.125/stat00/index.htm
Need I say more?

(clipping lengthy legal text - see previous message if you need to)

No, you needn't say more: it's reassuring that I got it right.  You can't
shoot someone for stealing a crust of bread.

He would then be cutting that crust off of the loaf of bread on the kitchen
counter - he's armed with a knife. *BLAM*

There has to be the reasonable
belief that the person is going to do something extremely dangerous
(physical assault, arson, kidnap, murder. etc.).

I beleived that the intruder was about to sexually assault my wife (or even
me, who knows about people these days). *BLAM*

Someone being in your
house uninvited is NOT open season to shoot first and ask questions later.
It's pretty darn clear about it.

Uninvited is one thing. I have family show up uninvited quite often. But
unless I immediately recognize the intruder, or there's a police cruiser,
firetruck, or ambulance out front - I'm assuming they're armed & dangerous.

Bruce

-Duane