 Off-Topic / Debate / 12034
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:39:37 GMT

Ancient Greece.  Good example of the tyrany of the majority.  I'm with you
on this one.

"The Law" by Frederick Bastiat also covers some of this. For the full text
of this AMAZINGLY concise and excellent work, see:

http://lexrex.com/informed/otherdocuments/thelaw/thelaw.htm

Thanks for that cite! Bookmarked it... I read _The Law_ long ago but it's
good to know of an electronic source. Bastiat is cited by a lot of other
freedom thinkers.

One issue that some will have is that his derivation of *why* people have
the rights they do is pretty weak. I know it always comes up here if you
just more or less take it as an assumption. I think people DO have these
rights but have not yet been able to satisfactorily demonstrate it.

++Lar