 Off-Topic / Debate / 12033
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:01:31 GMT

Bruce:

You're right, I should have qualified my hypotheticals better, but I DO
think that Duane is right when it comes to shooting the "other" person dead
-- one story, my story, means I go free.  Nobody will ever hear the dead
person's narrative of the shooting...

Shooting children in the street is a bad idea, I admit.  but the courts have
REALLY taken something of substance away from us where we cannot also defend
each other -- our neighbors. That's just wrong!  I tend to try to know my
neighbors.  If I see someone hassling them, I will tend to take my neighbors
side on it because I have clasped hands with my neighbor and I will tend to
distrust a stranger (cave man no like strangers -- strangers bad!).  This is
not a perfectly polished hypothetical, and I think you were mostly having
fun anyway -- but can you see my side of this?

One thing though...

STARE DECISIS is a dead animal in the U.S. What the court's have said, what
they may say, what the will say is up for grabs.  I have read enough court
decisions, appeals, and Supreme Court decisions to know this is true from
first-hand experience with our system.  Just because the courts swing one
way today, doesn't mean they won't swing another way soon.  That's why the
system is SO screwed up!  Rather than taking a more scientific approach to
law -- like the idea of stare decisis suggests, the higher courts became
political (if they ever weren't).  There must be some better, less corrupted
way to choose up the members of our highest courts rather than what we have
now, but I haven't actually come up with it.

But really, that's the solution of last resort, I would prefer a system that
had us going to court less because less was against the law.

-- Hop-Frog