 Off-Topic / Debate / 11977
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:40:43 GMT

OK, sorry if I was unclear, I'll try to spell it out more clearly.

T-H-A-N-K-S

Why do you want a referendum, which would be a novel and likely to be
challenged procedure, instead of the accepted way of doing it?

Let the people speak and see where ALL of the American public stands on the
issue. It will serve as evidence of what American's believe is the right
thing to do. It can go either way as far as I'm concerned but let everyone
have a say.

If you are
right about the level of support, no problem, the accepted way works to get
the change you want...

No, the lobbyists are in control not the people. And this goes for many
things, not just handguns. Our government is not responsive to change
because there are many levels of corruption. Politicians are concerned
chiefly with filling of pockets not the well being of the common man.

But if a referendum with a bare majority

See, your assuming it's a bare majority. What if it isn't? Either way,
neither of us can verify it until it happens.

is the only way to impose your
will...

No, the W-I-L-L O-F T-H-E P-E-O-P-L-E. As I said clearly, it can go either
way so long as everyone has a voice on the issue.

fortunately for the rest of us...

The rest of who?

that referendum result won't last a month since it's unconstitutional.

The Constitution can be amended. It is an imperfect document and evolves to
suit our times. Only a fool would support the contrary. If we left the
Constitution alone, blacks would still be slaves and women could not vote.
The Constitution is meant to be changed as needed, by the people.

Dan