 Off-Topic / Debate / 11975
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:50:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Daniel, I'm curious why you would want a referendum? Do you perhaps think
you would not win if the accepted process was used?

On the contrary, I think the handgun advocates would not "win." Either way,
I say let the American public decide, not the lobbyists (on both sides) and
not the politicians on their payroll.

OK, sorry if I was unclear, I'll try to spell it out more clearly.

Why do you want a referendum, which would be a novel and likely to be
challenged procedure, instead of the accepted way of doing it? If you are
right about the level of support, no problem, the accepted way works to get
the change you want...

But if a referendum with a bare majority is the only way to impose your
will, fortunately for the rest of us, that referendum result won't last a
month since it's unconstitutional.

++Lar