 Off-Topic / Debate / 11974
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:04:51 GMT

Let me give you something to think about when you say "One person, one
vote." , say you have a society made up of 5 wolves and 4 sheep, and they're
going to take a vote on what's for dinner. I don't think the sheep are going
to like the one vote rule. Now if both groups have equal representation,
then they might be able to work out a compromise. I know that this is over
simplifying the situation, but it's a fine example of "mob rule".

Next you'll be wanting to have a "one person one vote" on the rich members
of society giving all their money to the poor, I don't think that would be a
fair vote at all. I got a feeling I know how that vote would turn out. Thank
goodness that's not how it works in this country.

jt

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In fact the smallest states are guaranteed 3 votes (one rep and 2 senate
seats contribute those three votes) meaning they have a proportionally
larger voice in the election of the president than the large states do. As
the founding fathers intended.

Then I should have said 2 senates seats for each state and any number reps
based on districts.

Now, the greater point is it takes INDIVIDUALS to vote. JT noted that this
isn't "mob rule" yet people, you and me, make it all happen. That is the
point. "One person, one vote." I like the sound of that. As I said, the
lobbyists are in control of the handgun issue. Put it to a national vote and
see what happens. It's each individual American's right, let everyone be
heard. That's all I ask.

Dan