 Off-Topic / Debate / 11672
Re: Laws about sex.... (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:53:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Lane writes:

In the right climate a government will make for
itself, laws strong enough to defeat the current challenge against it.

True.

This in fact appears to be true of all governments, no matter whether they
start out just and democratic or not. And that's my issue with government,
it's what our founding fathers tried to combat, imperfectly. We have a bill
of rights that reserves power to the people, unlike the UK, no matter than
in practice it is usurped on a regular basis.

You scare me.

Who scares you more? Me or the bloke with prior convictions locked away for
writing the filth.

You.

I'm much more frightened by the citizen willing to trade away his freedom
for "peace" than I am the common criminal. The latter is easy to deal with,
but the former is quite difficult.

++Lar