 Off-Topic / Debate / 11673
Re: Laws about sex.... (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:42:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Lane writes:

In the right climate a government will make for
itself, laws strong enough to defeat the current challenge against it.

True.

I'm glad somebody agree's with me :-).

This in fact appears to be true of all governments, no matter whether they
start out just and democratic or not. And that's my issue with government,
it's what our founding fathers tried to combat, imperfectly. We have a bill
of rights that reserves power to the people, unlike the UK, no matter than
in practice it is usurped on a regular basis.

You scare me.

Who scares you more? Me or the bloke with prior convictions locked away for
writing the filth.

You.

I'm much more frightened by the citizen willing to trade away his freedom
for "peace" than I am the common criminal. The latter is easy to deal with,
but the former is quite difficult.

++Lar

Actually here in the uk we are having problems with increasing amounts of
both government and buracrecy. I read the other day that half of our new
laws come from Brussels. The European Union is steadily encroaching into our
sovereignty. I don't know how all this stupidness got started, I'm all for a
common currency (though not the Euro) and fair trade on a level playing
feild but we should contol most of our own country's decisons.

Our buisness's are also suffering from being choked by red tape since this
dang Lefty Labour government got in power (and again quite recently:-().
Oh, and the cost of government has also spiralled with all the spin doctors,
advisors and hangers on they employ.

Steve who want's less government and a hard line on perv's.