 Off-Topic / Debate / 1166
Re: Stunningly ignorant people
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:19:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Ok.  This is a rhetorical question, mostly as an excuse to vent.

How could anyone who works in the I/T industry be so stunningly ignorant as to
catch the Mailissa virus?

For that matter, how could anyone who works in the I/T industry be so
stunningly ignorant as to catch *any* virus?

How can anyone in the I/T industry not be aware of Mailissa?  It's stunningly
unsubtle, it screams "I'm a virus, open me!", and it's been in the freaking
evening news!

I can see a certain degree of susceptibility in other industries, but come on!
An I/T professional falling for Mailissa is just ridiculous.  You might as
well put a big sign around your neck that says "I know nothing about my job,
and I live in a box"

Even setting that rather large point aside, what kind of bozo doesn't have
either NAV or McAfee (or the equivalent) up-to-date and running?  That's what
they're for, people!

We just had another rash of Mailissa sweep through our servers.  Fortunately,
there were only three clueless entities today.

<rant rant rave rave foam foam>

Ok, I feel better now :)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

You want stunningly ignorant:  try attorneys.  Notorious for ignoring all virus
warnings at work.  They will download anything!!!  Just to get our e:mail
system back up, IT ran a virus check on every computer (over 10,000) and then
distributed a memo (actually taped to everyone's screen) stating - IF YOUR
LOG-IN SCREEN IS NOT YELLOW (the computer was scanned for viruses), SHUT DOWN
AND CALL HELP.  So of course 5 attorneys logged in anyway.

Can we sue them for mental malpractice!!!!