 Off-Topic / Debate / 1164
Re: Stunningly ignorant people
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
James Brown wrote:
How can anyone in the I/T industry not be aware of Mailissa?  It's • stunningly
unsubtle, it screams "I'm a virus, open me!", and it's been in the freaking
evening news!

I am in software development.

I'll pray for you.

I just thumped one of our testers for
forwarding me a warning message (obstensibly from AOL *and* IBM *and*
Netscape) about an e-mail virus titled "It Takes Guts To Say Jesus" which,
upon opening, will erase your hard drive and *THEN* forward itself to
everyone on the planet.  I took the time to explain to him about the
technical nuances of opening an e-mail message, and the safety hard drives
typically have from rogue e-mail messages, and the fact that the message he
sent me contained no real references but had more scare material than your
typical Y2K panic message.  Then I explained that he had indeed propigated a
"social" computer virus (i.e. hoax), against which no anti-virus software
can defend.

To which he replied, "you can't be too careful..."

Newbies.  Jeez.  *thump*

Next time reply, "Yes you can, and you can be ignorant and paranoid, and be
unwilling to change."

ofofftopic: I need to come up with a tern describing drivers who take a full
minute to realize the light had turned green...

Would that be an arctic tern or a New York tern?

Darth Maul Lives

I thought I saw him at Safeway the other day looking at the frozen broccoli.

-Tom McD.
when replying, send away now for your free Al Gore autographed spamcake!
details on specially marked packages.