 Off-Topic / Debate / 1163
Re: Stunningly ignorant people
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:00:19 GMT

James Brown wrote:
How can anyone in the I/T industry not be aware of Mailissa?  It's stunningly
unsubtle, it screams "I'm a virus, open me!", and it's been in the freaking
evening news!

I am in software development.  I just thumped one of our testers for
forwarding me a warning message (obstensibly from AOL *and* IBM *and*
Netscape) about an e-mail virus titled "It Takes Guts To Say Jesus" which,
upon opening, will erase your hard drive and *THEN* forward itself to
everyone on the planet.  I took the time to explain to him about the
technical nuances of opening an e-mail message, and the safety hard drives
typically have from rogue e-mail messages, and the fact that the message he
sent me contained no real references but had more scare material than your
typical Y2K panic message.  Then I explained that he had indeed propigated a
"social" computer virus (i.e. hoax), against which no anti-virus software
can defend.

To which he replied, "you can't be too careful..."

Newbies.  Jeez.  *thump*

ofofftopic: I need to come up with a tern describing drivers who take a full
minute to realize the light had turned green...

Cheers,
- jsproat

Darth Maul Lives