 Off-Topic / Debate / 11592
  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) So. You admit you were wrong to disagree with Larry about his assessment of your position as being that the Lion was amoral? (...) Do you think "judge" is incorrect? Please suggest a better word. What is it that family/friends may do with (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) no. Calling it amoral compares it to us does it not? (...) no. (...) If you mean murder, by anyone's moral code this is wrong. I expect even murders know it to be wrong. (...) What is your point? (...) Yes, but I do not have to stop myself - I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Not by my watch. If you were unclear on the issue you probably should've asked Larry what he meant by amoral. Otherwise, you must explain what definition you though Larry was using, explain why it's not what you're saying, AND explain the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) By referencing the dietary constraint issue, are you talking about my ethical stance on vegetarianism? You are claiming that there is a difference between protecting lives and dietary restriction, but my dietary restriction does protect lives. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) No. Not at all. I meant consumption levels. I used to share an office with a guy who has utter contempt for anyone who is more than a pound overweight, gay or a Catholic(1). I was thinking of him when I wrote the text. He lives in the USA (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Well I still think it is. I view moralising as rather sanctimonious. To say an animal is without them is negative - in my opinion. (...) Amoral is negative. (...) Evaluate comes to mind (...) Read Larry's message again. Assess the tone. What (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Again, I'm tremendously unclear. Please try and explain in more than 2 sentences. Try and summarize in a couple ways-- that might help. As near as I can tell, you mean one of two things: 1. You mean to say that we cannot tell if animals have (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) I am saying I do not care about the lions morals. Saying a lion has no morals, is like saying it cannot drive a car - it is irrelevant. I view calling a lion “amoral” as negative, as it is saying it has not got what we view as being “good”. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)