 Off-Topic / Debate / 11574
  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) That is *exactly* what we are doing when we say the lion is amoral. We are saying that our morals do not apply to it. That's where the breakdown in communication is happening. You appear to be operating with a different definition of "amoral" (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Uh, no, by the definitions you gave (and my understanding also) amoral does not specifically relate to _our_ (human) morals, but _any_ morals. (...) ROSCO (Never let it be said that *I* let this thread die!) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Yes, you're right. My imprecision. What I meant was: "We are saying that morals do not apply to it." Mea culpa, mea culpa. James (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Have you read my respnse to Dave on this? (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Which response, to which Dave? Precision is good. Do you agree with my summation below? If not, could you give what *you* think Chris meant, and what *you* think Larry meant? From looking through, it is very obvious that everyone who has (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?

(...) Including me I think. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)