 Off-Topic / Debate / 11361
Re: 3 Question (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:58:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

OK. You asserted "animals are amoral" with nothing to back it up.

I think that until we have clear evidence that animals understand morality, we
have to assume that they probably don't.

How well do humans understand morality? I doubt animals would have the same
idea of morality as humans, heck even different humans have different ideas...

Even if an animal does lots of nice
things, I wouldn't call it moral unless it had the ability to decide to do
not-nice things as well.

Type "pit bull attack" into your favourite search engine. Do these animals
know they're doing a bad thing? I don't know. But then from a dog's point of
view, mauling humans may not be a bad thing?

And even then, I think I'd lean toward not calling
something moral until I had evidence that it understood the concept of morality
and could discuss morals.

You're unlikely to find such eveidence (in the short term, anyway), because
another animal's concept of morals and methods of "discussion" are probably
totally different & not understood by humans.

To those who assert humans have "fundamental rights", I'd ask 3 questions:

You aren't asking me, since I dont' think that, but...

Well, below you've said we have the fundamental right to agree on rights,
which contradicts that statement.

1. What are these fundamental rights;

The right to agree on rights?

Perhaps.

2. When did humans get them; and

When they first organized sufficiently to construct a social pattern that we
now call rights.

And when was that? Are apes anywhere near sufficiently organised? Why / why not?

3. How did humans get them?

Through thought and socialization.

So that's saying they're devised by humans, which IMO means they aren't
"fundamental".

Or alternatively, they *are* fundamental, but were only "discovered" by
humans through thought and socialization, in which case I'd ask how do we
know such rights don't exist for other animals?

ROSCO