 Off-Topic / Debate / 11000
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:21:24 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

Could the market be freer? Yes. But pragmatically, opposing every partly
free trade because it isn't free doesn't seem to be the way to get things to
be more open. Partly free trade seems to tend to make things more free trade
in the long run. Not always... but  "seems to tend".

Can you provide cites on this?

This is my opinion: As best as I possibly can, I want to avoid buying any
product or partaking in any sevice that resulted from a cruelly exploited
work force (as in slaves, child labor, forced prisoner labor, etc). I carry
this personal ethic to not wanting my country to contribute to unethical
industrial, agricultural or commercial practices. I want my country to value
fairness and equity rather than one-sided profiteering.

How successful are you at this Daniel?  I try to as much as I can. I'm
curious about your attempts.  Reply offline if you would like.

If I discovered tomorrow that LEGO was manufactured by child or slave labor,
or that the company obtained raw materials through exploitive labor, I would
stop buying the product and throw it all in the garbage.

I seriously thought about this when I learned LEGO was shutting down
several factories and moving brick production outta Enfield.

<snipped a lot of discussion>

I don't have all the answers and what you or I say here makes no big
difference. But I see no reason why we couldn't subsidize "saving the whole
world" in certain ways. We certainly have enough money for it. The problem
with that idea is that there MUST be a true humanitarian doctrine, with no
intent of profit. However, our nation seems a little too consumed in it's
excesses to realize, collectively speaking, that what it does affects the
whole world in very bad ways sometimes. I'm sure you'll agree on this too.

No, I don't agree with this as it's posted. I don't see a country consumed
by its excesses and I don't see that on balance that we have had a negative
effect on the rest of the world. I am much more positive about the US than that.

Larry- I can't see how you can state this.  The majority of the world's
resources flow into our country and the major thing that flows out is
our consumer culture.

Positive, but not very realistic in my opinion. I'd say the American public
has gotten a little better as far as showing concern for ethics in our
international business dealings, but I still think our government and all
it's lobbyists have a long, long way to go. That's just my opinion.

But most importantly I don't agree that doing things without regard for
one's stockholders and investors ("with no intent of profit") is a good
idea, or, especially, even a moral one. I'd go so far as to say that
abrogating the fiduciary trust placed in one is out and out immoral. But
maybe you meant via charities rather than by having corporations deliberatly
do things at price points unfair to themselves. Again, some concrete
examples or suggestions will clarify what it is you are advocating.

In my opinion, f*ck the stockholders and investors if all they're going to
be concerned about is their profit. To advocate morality on Wall Street is
like asking a dog to be a cat. It's time people see the bigger picture and
invest in the world for the world, not for some selfish, deluded need for
creating and leaving behind a legacy. What, a legacy of greed and lust over
gold and silver (now oil as well)? Hasn't that been the story of elitism
throughout the centuries? How is it any different now?

well said

Everything that has ever happened or will ever happen with mankind has taken
place on this tiny, blue world. Since we all must share this one small world
for the next billion years, why not make it better, greener, cleaner, safer
and more sustainable for all? I realize that competition is a driving force
in nature and helps life flourish. But doesn't cooperation have an equal, if
not more valuable, effect on our progress? So, how specifically we achieve
this I cannot decide at this moment, but I can speculate it beginning
through education. The next generation (all children around the world) must
have a multicultural appreciation and earth-friendly skills. It's more of a
revolution of thought at the grass roots level, in my opinion. Like any
idea, it's lots of small steps leading to bigger steps and so on. I think
erasing poverty would hasten progress but that goal is at the mercy of those
who control all the money and power, Americans or otherwise.

Daniel, I believe what you are referring to here is something called the
Evolutionary-Ecological Land Ethic.  This was an idea developed during
the middle of *last* century by a wildlife biologist named Aldo Leopold
and published in his book of essays called "The Sand County Almanac".
He thought that mankind cannot exist without a healthy love and respect
for the land with a high regard for its value (and that's value more so
in the spiritual sense than the economic one).

Here's part of the ethic if any of you care to read it:
http://www.tipiglen.dircon.co.uk/landethic.html

Here's what I believe to be one of the most important phrases from book.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability,
and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends
otherwise."

I use this as the foundation for my decisions...  it works reasonably
well.

-chris