 Off-Topic / Debate / 10926
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:54:43 GMT

You haven't seen a demonstration of how this is detrimental?!?  Did you miss
the reasons for the civil rights movement?  Ensuing riots in reaction to
racism?  I pointed out earlier that you get that kind of thing from
disenfranchisement of vast segments from society.  You get it even now -
make the forces against it weaker and you'll get it more.  Idunno - I find
that terribly detrimental.

Oh, me too. I just don't see it as following from allowing (not requiring)
businesses (with no barriers to entry) to choose who to serve. Jim Crow laws
REQUIRED businesses to discriminate.

  But it's not simply of matter of whether or not a restaurant will choose
to serve "coloreds:"  Businesses will be able to choose whether or not to
hire people on basis of any bigoted notion they can think of.
  Further, because it can be quite persuasively argued that Libertarian
privatization of schooling will quickly guarantee serfdom for the poor (many
of whom are and will continue to be non-white-males) since their families
will have been unable to afford to educate them at or even transport them to
good schools, it can be concluded that these marginalized individuals will
be likewise guaranteed not to get good jobs.  I'm not arguing for
quotas--I'm saying that, without the protection of Federal
anti-discrimination laws, corporations will be free to hire along racist or
gender-based lines. Further, since Libertarians here have argued that it's
in the "best interests" of a company to hire the best candidate regardless
of ethnicity, it must be pointed out that the cycle of poverty--bad
schooling--low paying job--poverty--bad schooling--low paying job will
continue, and no one has presented a viable Libertarian solution to the
cycle.  Therefore, if corporations can discriminate at will, nominally in
the "best interests" of the company, then such discrimination will
perpetuate poverty, bad schooling, and a future generation of people who
aren't hired because of the company's "best interests."

     Dave!