 Off-Topic / Debate / 10877
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:01:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
So if a business, American or otherwise, trades with Iraq, selling food, tools,
whatever, and they make lots of money -- is that bad or good?

That's an entirely different subject. My point is to allow Iraq to function
as country by lifting the sanctions that have destroyed the nations
infrastructure and demoralized and destroyed the lives of so many innocent
people.

Are they economic imperialists? Are they exploiting the Iraqis? What about buying oil from Iraq?

There's an ethic to pricing, buying and trading so that people are not
ripping each other off. Equity vs. one-sided profiteering. Good
trading/buying builds good relations. So, yes, if America or any country
doesn't honor fair pricing or labor standards, then it is exploitation. If
America want's to buy oil from Iraq, it should pay the fair price (whatever
that may be), not take advantage of them. If America wants to trade with
China, make sure there's no profiting from the child labor. If we don't want
OUR kids to be working 12 hours in factories, we should not contribute to it
elsewhere.

I am against economic sanctions myself. I think they usually hurt everybody
but the government of the offending nation, plus they provide an easy way for
cowardly politicians to "take action" without actually doing anything.

Thank you!

The Albanians are 75% Muslim. Why did we bomb Serbia to help them out if
America hates Muslims so much? The real question is why are we involved in
Yugoslavia at all? What is our national interest?

Still scratching my head, I'll get back to you on that.

I guess everything the US does is wrong to you.

I don't think of it that way.

I think you place too much
blame on the US government when the real cause of Iraq's problems is their own
government. You talk about Bush "murdering" Iraqis in a war (a war started by
Iraq), but they have been murdered by their own government for decades. Not
everything can be blamed on the Great Satan.

Good point. But, there are a lot of hidden issues regarding America's role
before and after the Gulf War. I know that Saddam chose to invade Kuwait but
there's more to the story, not that it justifies anything but that there was
fault on both sides. I can elaborate or you can take my word. Either way, I
only place blame where it rightly should sit. And you are right, Saddam is a
filthy butcher and a criminal, no arguments there. However, we backed him
for all those decades so that speaks to our cooperating with evil when it
suits us.

Dan