 Off-Topic / Debate / 10603
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 03:43:50 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

In environmental terms, what is the cost of cheap oil?

I'm probably in the ultra-minor minority of Americans who would like to
pay for the real price of oil- mainly to reflect the true environmental
costs.

Me too, actually.  It seems to me like the only fair thing to do, and as long
as it's a user fee that is pretty fairly apportioned, then I'd have no
complaints.  I'd actually like to see some reasonable attempt to remediate
environmental damages and trustfund/invest in future greener power technology
whether that's nuclear, OTEC, solar, wind, hydro, or whatever.

Chris, you never cease to amaze me. :)

IMO, The automobile is arguably the greatest threat to environmental and
social quality, and is probably one of the most subsidized sectors of
the world's economy.  I was able to explain and demostrate this point to
some of my students this past term and I had several people tell me that
they never thought about it that way before.  It gave me a glimmer of
hope.  What I would like to see is the price of car insurance included
in the price of gas.  Then it would be fairer to the person who drives a
100 miles a month and to the person who spends 30 times that on the
road.  That would probably require some sort of universal id card
though.

I'm getting way off topic though...

-chris