 Off-Topic / Debate / 10602
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 03:32:24 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Let's be precise here. I didn't shrug off the fact that many economists are
concerned. I'm concerned too. But I don't believe that all 2500 economists
share the precise prescription for solution, just the concern that there is
a problem. You'd never get 2500 economists to agree to one particular >solution.

I'm more amazed 2500 economists agreed on something. :)

You are sqirming again Larry. Go back. Read your posts and explain yourself.
Show us how the market can be trusted to look after the environment. Show us
how the market would take on the big environmental issues... not just the
usual window dressing.

In this thread I have not said it could. I'm even suspending my disbelief in
government regulation, at least long enough for you or others to explain how
it would work. Asserting that it works isn't an explanation. You have my
attention. Convince me.

I'm having trouble coming up with an example that shows how government
regulation can protect something, at least one that is not mired with
economics and other ideas.  It's also late and I'm kinda tired.

Let me throw this out, till I can think about this a little more.  There
is this conservation ethic that was put out many years ago by a forester
named Gifford Pinchot.  It's a utilitarian idea that states nature
should be used for the greatest good of the greatest number of people
for the greatest length of time.  To me, this view is very
anthropocentric because it seems to only care about species/ecosystems
that are usefull to humans and may very well place lesser value on less
useful parts.  I believe Pinchot said something like "the great fact
about conservation is that it stands for development."

This idea is why I don't want to put all the world's eggs in a the
market-driven basket.

-chris