 Off-Topic / Debate / 10577
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 13:22:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

In environmental terms, what is the cost of cheap oil?

I'm probably in the ultra-minor minority of Americans who would like to
pay for the real price of oil- mainly to reflect the true environmental
costs.

Me too, actually.  It seems to me like the only fair thing to do, and as long
as it's a user fee that is pretty fairly apportioned, then I'd have no
complaints.  I'd actually like to see some reasonable attempt to remediate
environmental damages and trustfund/invest in future greener power technology
whether that's nuclear, OTEC, solar, wind, hydro, or whatever.

I don't mind paying the currently high prices but, I think I'v
unintentially deluded myself to think I'm paying for stricter
environmental standards. :/

I think delusion is right.  But I don't mind paying the current prices either.
I don't understand all the furor when the gas prices go up.  I like to drive.
I have a job.  I'll keep driving and fueling my vehicle.  Now, only being able
to go on odd numbered days and having to wait in line for six hours for
gas...that would suck.  But paying $2-4 per gallon would be fine.

Chris