 Off-Topic / Debate / 10494
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 21:15:21 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote:
It's not that (though that IS part of it).  They can't even seem to maintain the
current wind farms, because the treehuggers are whining about the birds killed by
the blades on the windmills, and fight repairing any that break down.  Setting up
NEW farms would be next to impossible thanks to some of the (too many) extremist
nature lovers in Kalifornia.

I'll have to respectively disagree.  There is the 'famous' case of the
Altamont Pass windfarm in your lovely state.  Altamont Pass has the
highest concentration of nesting pairs of Golden Eagle's anywhere in the
world.  Golden Eagles are protected by the FWS.  There is currently a
controversy about proposed expansion and repowering of that windfarm.
The presence of the windfarm also moved a reintroduction program for the
California Condor many kilometers south of there because of fears of
condor mortality by the blades.

However, most windfarms do not have a significant problem with bird
mortality, as they are located in places that are out of the way of
threatened species or the birds have 'learned' to avoid them.  Also new
turbine designs have been introduced that have reduced avian mortality
and are being phased in.

Towers and structures of all kinds to affect birds for a variety of
reasons most notably light pollution. CHeck http://www.towerkill.com/
for some references on that subject.

If they lifted the price caps, and didn't have to worry about the Audoban (sp?)
and other organizations, I can guarantee you that there'd be more wind farms
built in no time.

It's Audubon.  I think your model is too simple.  Our economy does not
exist outside nature as your final sentence seems to imply.