 Off-Topic / Debate / 10495
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 22:19:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:

However, most windfarms do not have a significant problem with bird
mortality, as they are located in places that are out of the way of
threatened species or the birds have 'learned' to avoid them.  Also new
turbine designs have been introduced that have reduced avian mortality
and are being phased in.

Towers and structures of all kinds to affect birds for a variety of
reasons most notably light pollution. CHeck http://www.towerkill.com/
for some references on that subject.

I did do some reading and share your concern. The projected number of birds
killed annually by this is quite high. But birds do die, they died before
towers were first built. In the overall scheme of things, then, will this
lead to a irreversable decline (for the more common species, I admit that
for rare species, they can't handle large population shocks and survive) or
a new steady state with a different mix of deaths?

Presumably the scavengers living near these towers are quite happy, though.
Is that good or bad?

If you read the Leelenau court case, it seems to me that neither side got
what they really wanted. Is the current system of FCC oversight,
environmental impact statements, etc. actually working? I dunno.

Here is a question I don't have an answer to: What's to be done about it?
Can we live without towers? No, or at least not unless the price of
satellites came way down so we all have space based communications and don't
need towers (Iridium failed because it was too expensive, right???)... Can
we live without birds? Also no. Are those the only choices? I dunno.

The LMF(1) answer is that migratory birds ought to have owners, and those
owners ought to go after the tower companies to demand satisfaction. But
even I would tend to say that answer is, well, somewhat *less* than
practical at this point.

I'd love to hear from some of the usual suspects, and if the questioners
actually posted constructive suggestions, even better!

1 - Libertarian Macho Flash

++Lar