 Off-Topic / Debate / 10499
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:58:30 GMT

Here is a question I don't have an answer to: What's to be done about it?
Can we live without towers? No, or at least not unless the price of
satellites came way down so we all have space based communications and don't
need towers (Iridium failed because it was too expensive, right???)... Can
we live without birds? Also no. Are those the only choices? I dunno.

The LMF(1) answer is that migratory birds ought to have owners, and those
owners ought to go after the tower companies to demand satisfaction. But
even I would tend to say that answer is, well, somewhat *less* than
practical at this point.

I'd love to hear from some of the usual suspects, and if the questioners
actually posted constructive suggestions, even better!

Hmm.  I'm not sure that migratory species (or non-migratory) could have
owners, even in a Libertarian ideal; at least, not until we have a much
better understanding of ecosystem interaction.  It opens up many difficult
questions, among the simplest being things like "Does the owner of the deer
get to sue the owner of the wolves for property damage, or does the owner of
the wolves get to bill the owner of the deer for population control?" and
"Who do I buy the rights to the cricket from?"

It seems to me that ecosystem management would almost have to be one of the
few things to remain in public trust.

My gut instinct is to say that the answer is to build towers (et al) with as
solid an understanding as we can WRT ecological impact, and keep putting
effort into a greater understanding of ecology until it reaches the level of
consistent and reliable science (which, IMO, it is as yet far short).

Ecology is one of those things that we don't currently understand well
enough to determine if we're making horrible irreversable mistakes in, so
IMHO is one of the places we should be treading lightly.

YMMV

James
...not a usual suspect, but at least I've heard of Keyser Soze...