 Off-Topic / Debate / 10446
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 19:32:14 GMT

I would propose
that to achieve something close to Libertopia in the real world it would be
necessary to obliterate the class system and all property, and then start
from scratch.  Otherwise someone will be given an unfair leg-up into
Libertopia--unfair, because it would have come from the same corrupt system
that Libertopia purports to reject.

I think that I think Dave is almost right.  It still won't be fair.  (If I
understand what is meant by fair.)  Larry has more marketable skills than I do
and I have more marketable skills than the lady who's changing the trash can
behind me.  Very quickly, the three of us would sort out similarly to where we
are now with regard to how many toys we can afford.

I think you can start from an unfairer place and move towards a fairer place
without having to start completely from scratch.

I hope you're right.  I hope that's what people are doing.

But as long as the trend is towards fairness I have no issue with uneven
starting points. equal rights != equal opportunity.

Why not, again?  Just because there is no right to goods?

But if getting to a perfect libertopia were only to be accomplished by
renouncing all one's property, one time... where do I sign? Would that it
were that easy.

Me too.  Heck, I'd give up all my property for a much less radical "wish" than
that.

Chris