 Off-Topic / Debate / 10447
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 19:41:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Saddam sees confusion in Iran and makes a grab for the oil fields (and not
the first time they've fought about that).  Unless you subscribe to
orbiting-mind-control lasers (fnord!) that's pretty much right as Saddam's
feet.  You're not really linking the skullduggery to the act - all it seems
you are offering is just it's-all-a-conspiracy vagueness.  I'm not saying
that there isn't sneaky stuff happening, but whitewashing Saddam over what
was ultimately his decision seems the apologist route.

They guy's a greedy thug and a butcher, no problem with that. Invading
Kuwait was his fault, no problem with that. But we still supported the
bastard throughout the 80's, right? The Kuwaitis still aggravated the issue
and America rejected Iraq's pleas in the U.N. And we knew what was going to
happen and let it because it was good for business since the Cold War was
over. That's my take on it. Not the apologist, just owing up to what really
happened and what our part was.

   Why did the US support Saddam?  Why, because he was better than
   that bloodthirsty, nasty Shi'i Khomeini, that's why!  (If you
   can't detect sarcasm there, you need your brain checked.)  We
   figured that since Saddam was "secular" and willing to play
   ball, and Khomeini was the religious leader of Iran who overthrew
   our little Shah and refused to play the game our way (even Iran-
   Contra doesn't count, because the US didn't set the terms on
   which Iran bought), then Saddam must naturally be the better
   guy and a defender of capital-D Democracy!  (Or was that
   capital-D Death?)

   Khomeini got a really bad rap, much much worse than Qaddafi.
   It's stunning how skewed our exposure to him really was--as
   though the entirety of his being was "Death to America, the
   Great Satan".

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I understand you are sceptical of the Saudis and
Kuwaitis - does the *rest* of the arab world support Saddam snatching Kuwait?

I see what you're saying. Well, I believe none of the Arab nations supported
the invasion (I'm not sure of Libya or Syria) but most of them, with the
exception of Saudia and Kuwait, did not support Western military
intervention. They called it an "Arab matter", just like our ambassador told
Iraq before the invasion.

   Saudia?  That's a new one.  :)  But one never fully knows
   what will happen until the chips are down.  It may not be
   so much what happened as *how* and the excesses that attended
   it.

   But recall that, in the end, many of the ruling houses of
   Arab nations (note that point--Egypt doesn't count!) are
   still the same ones that were perched there by Western
   mandatory Powers.  King Hussein was of the same Hussein
   family that--spelt Husayn--was doublecrossed at Versailles.
   Ibn Saud, the father (I believe) of King Fahd, politically
   outmanoeuvered Sharif Husayn, who also sought the throne
   of Arabia, but he was abetted in this goal by Western powers.
   The Ba'ath Party, like it or not, toppled one of these
   puppet Western monarchies in Iraq, and so it's little wonder
   who will be seen as the greater threat to the status quo
   by the "old guard" in the region.

John Wayne was a racist, but telling people that upsets them.

   Well, sure.  So was Abraham Lincoln.  (Read some of his writing,
   it's quite shocking.)  But we must judge them by the times in
   which they lived, because that's the litmus, and that's the only
   way we can ever truly understand history.  (And before anyone
   brings *that* up, note that genocide is wrong by virtually any
   temporal standard save, say, the Old Testament.  I'm not a *total*
   relativist.)

Anyway, you
are correct, too many people think we can do no wrong, nor do evil things.
Sometimes we actually do good things, sometimes we just try and put a good
face on it, sometimes we even try and do good things and get lost along the
way, and other times we do fairly rotten things. Those that key only on the
good aren't being realistic, but those that just key on the bad are equally
unrealistic.

Agreed, there are a lot of noble things to mention about our country,
especially in the field of medicine. However, there are so many rotten
things, especially in the past two decades, that seem to overshadow the
good. I used to be more idealistic but I'm seeing too much of our nation's
motives being driven by greed rather than a genuine attitude of world
solidarity.

   That is, IMHO, a sign of our times that we feel that way.  It
   mostly betokens alienation of ourselves from our governments,
   and an increasing feeling of facelessness and namelessness in
   a rapidly changing world.  That is, in its rudest form, called
   "despair."

   I tend still to be an optimist, however.  :)

   all best

   LFB