 Off-Topic / Debate / 10436
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 17:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

You're missing the point, Daniel.

Why in must "a space based manufacturing infrastructure" be a "business of warfare"?

I think you're missing the point, Tom. Why should the beginnings of a "space
based manufacturing infrastructure" be based on military applications? My
whole point is that, all too often in this country, we use "enemies" to
justify alarming amounts of spending. I will also add that humanitarian
research has a history of being perverted by being militarized and applied
in warfare.

I think you're a more violent person than you'd like to admit (especially >from your other comments in this group).

Believe what you wish, I don't go around suggesting we build a missile
defense system and charge other nations for intercept services. I say we
invest more in brokering peace. However, war makes more money than peace.

Getting "a space based manufacturing infrastructure" created will let us do far more than build war toys, and getting it there FASTER increases our chances as a species to
survive our emotions by having some of our population OFF of the planet.

That's an idealistic view I would like to share, but look at what happened
in the last century.

So, in the end, it's all about money and greed! Forget humanity, forget
morals, forget peace, forget the environment...let's cash in on war!

You're just fclueless.

So now it's insults?

<snipped comments on space manufacturing>

Sure, initially, and for some of the people behind the building, it will be all about money and greed.

Exactly my reasons to hold off on any military space venture until we take
care of our problems down here. We shouldn't allow more generations to live
under the spectre of mutual destruction. We have the propensity of greed and
morbid curiousity as to what kind of destruction we can inflict. When I
listen to the cold analysis of military researchers talking about how glad
they had the opportunity to test new weapons and vehicles in "Desert Storm",
I realize that there's no cause for celebration since innocent human beings
lost their lives over this. Regardless of intent, something bad always comes
out of something good. Look at nuclear waste, look at pollution, look at
deforestation.

The bottom line is that we feed on people's fears and paranoia to justify
military spending. We work harder at war than we do at peace and America has
earned a reputation of greediness and brutality. We seem to be headed for
more wars by pushing other countries around. At some point, it may all blow
back in our face.

Dan