 Off-Topic / Debate / 10428
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 02:43:43 GMT

Didn't say otherwise, but it seems you are trying to slide the primary blame
onto America instead of where it firmly belongs.  Believe me, I'm not a big
Bush backer.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say that it firmly belongs on Saddam, I think the U.S. took
the role of the trouble-maker kid on the playground saying "Ooooh, he's
talkin' 'bout yo mama." There's a lot of underhanded U.S. stuff that went
on, such as the bugs in Iraq's air defense system that was installed way
before the invasion of Kuwait. The fact that we were preparing for a desert
war 3 years before also speaks to the point that we make create our enemies.

Are you saying that "real" arabs wanted Saddam in control of Kuwait?
Without a doubt they were uncomfortable with a western power mucking about
directly in the middle east (and with good reason), but your dismissal of
the decision as meer puppetry is simplistic.

Well, from this Arab's perspective, the Saudis and Kuwaitis are like the
"rednecks" of the Arab world. They're a bunch of ignorant, culturally
bankrupt stooges, put in power by the British and kept there by America for
the sake of oil.

Can't say that I've heard it causes any appreciable damage (the number of
launches is miniscule).

Well, I'm just taking the common sense angle that the upper atmosphere is
generally an undisturbed area of the earth. Sure, the occassional meteor or
magnetic storm may come along but for the most part that region is left
alone. So, who knows what sort of problems may be created by increasing
launches? We know the ozone layer is already fragile, what effect does the
combustion of a rocket have as it travels through this layer? So, I'd
approach the matter with caution.

Well, it would be hard to argue that the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on it
considering our firepower and our wealth and economic influence.

Tell that to Kuwait, Taiwan, Chechen, Bosnia.....

Still, as I said, hard to argue since we easily could bring up a list much
longer for countries with U.S. grievances. I don't know, perhaps because
we're on this side, we don't look at it that way. We live with the image of
John Wayne and the cavalry and that our country really means well. How often
has that been true in the last century?

Dan