 Off-Topic / Debate / 10249
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 07:07:15 GMT

Shiri writes:
But I'll be honest with you. I must admit that I am less upset when two
Palestinians are killed by Israeli soldiers than when it's the other way
around. Even though both upset me. Sorry, such is reality, and I'd rather
see no one die... but yeah, I won't lie, I'm more upset when it's Israelis,
and I'm sure you're more upset when it's Palestinians, Dan. Wish it weren't
so. And yeah, propaganda plays a big role in that, certainly. But that works
both ways, mind you.

Geez, this is really becoming the thread that would not die!  And I can see
that some are getting overheated about some of the points being made.

MY point would be to suggest that no one will get much closer to peace until
everyone concerned is disapproving of ANYONE that breaks the peace,
regardless of what side they are on.  I have never been one to care who was
being killed unless I knew them personally -- once I don't actually know
them the issue is abstracted enough that the only thing that bothers me is
that anyone is suffering violence in the world at all. Caring more for one
side vs. the other side is a product of cultural conditioning -- a kind of
"us and them" mentality that is almost as dangerous as hate mongering
itself, point being that there is no "us and them" unless you are talking
about another species!  Everyone else is just a stranger you haven't made
friends with yet...

I, like Shiri, think that all present have the same thing in mind -- namely
peace!  We all just have slightly different ways of imagining it.  But let's
agree that deciding which side is better or worse is probably very
subjective if you are somehow connected to the conflict.  It's a shame that
anyone is suffering on either side -- everyone just wants a place to be with
their pals, and family, and to be let alone (Doing NOT unto others as one
would have others NOT do unto one).  I wish I could pass a magic wand over
the world and make all this conflict just go away in one stroke, but sadly
that will not probably work.

I know one thing, every moment spent playing is a moment not spent planning
destruction in the world.  Make play and not war...!

<3

-- Richard