 Off-Topic / Debate / 1018
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 11:22:29 GMT

John, I have to confess I'm rather surprised at what I perceive as a
lack of tolerance here, and a little disappointed.

John Neal wrote:

It's not an illness, probably genetic, and, in some cases, definitely a
choice.

I'd agree with this. In some cases there is a predisposition toward a
behaviour. This is true in many areas of our behaviour and health. But
it's almost always a choice, unlike, say, Parkinson's. But I'm not sure
what point is being made any more.

Maybe homosexuals are just people, like the rest of us.

Well, isn't that the crux of the dilemma, that they are not *just* like us?

Nobody is JUST like anyone else. There are a wide range of appearances,
characteristics, traits and behaviours that humans engage in. Any
appearance, characteristic, trait or behaviour that doesn't interfere
with the rights of others is just fine.

Here's my .02, for what it's worth.  I don't care if someone is homosexual,
I don't *want* to know.

Good so far. Me either, for people I don't know. But for people I do, I
am interested, because it helps me understand them better, just as
knowing their hobbies or politics or favorite foods does.

So why do gays (some) have to *flaunt* it?  PDA,

Sort of agree at the gut level. I tend not to like to see PDA of any
sort, because it interferes with my fantasy life. (it's clear that the
hot specimen over there is taken) I tend to actually walk up to people,
leer a bit and then say snidely "get a room". But you know what, that's
offensive behaviour on my part, I'm infringing on THEIR rights and I
really should not give in to my rudeness impulses. So in the final
analysis, disagree.

rainbows on cars, why can't they just keep it to themselves?

Here you go over the line. I have a rainbow on my car, and a "homophobia
is a social disease" sticker. Does that make me gay? You might as well
tell christians not to put fish on their cars or libertarians not to
sign their appends with political statements.
A bumper sticker on a car is not "in your face", it is an act of
courage. Thanks to those whose intolerance goes beyond yours to the
point of actually taking action, that bumper sticker may single out
someone for harrassment, beating, even death at the hands of hoodlums or
police.

I don't mean
in the closet, just out of my face (in public).  PDA among hetereos is
offensive, too.  Is that asking too much?

Yes.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.