 Off-Topic / Debate / 10055
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:11:36 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:
I'd fight to defend my country, my state, my city, my home -- at the same
time, I would never fight a war on foreign soil.  To me that would be
immoral and I wouldn't do it.  If Canada attacked the U.S. tomorrow, I would
fight them right back to the border -- and from there they could go in peace.

Good thing for most of Europe enough people thought it was moral to
fight a war on foreight soil (though I guess in some cases, outside
participation was invited). I also don't think we would have the
relative peace we have in Europe had we stopped at the German and
Italian borders, or relative peace in the Pacific had we not crossed a
few borders.

Of course WW II is the war which seems to justify war.

I guess that leaves open the question of the degree to which Israel is the
home of Jews AND the home of Palestinians.  I don't favor either side, I see
blood on everyone's hands.  I thought for a while there they were going to
declare two independent states, Israel and Palestine - I mean, if they can't
play well together, let them play apart from each other.  Why didn't that
work out? Or can it still?  Seems like an excellent solution to me.

I'm not sure that it is possible to find a two state solution. I don't
think the problem will be solved until all sides (and it really isn't
just two sides) come to the table and agree that what is most important
is peace. When true peace becomes the goal of all sides, it might be
possible to have a joint government.

The only other possibilities I see for peace are either that one side
wipes out enough of the opposition that a defacto state of peace is
achieved, or outside parties come in and say "Enough is enough. The next
side to make an attack gets a nuke delivered to their front door." Well,
perhaps it doesn't have to be that forcefull, but the outside parties
will have to show they are willing to deliver.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com