 Off-Topic / Debate / *9421 (-20)
  Re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today

(...) Aaarrrgh!! I don't know who decided "couldn't" should be shortened to "could" but it seems to have caught on. I suppose it's possible that you could care less - but I bet you meant you couldn't care less. Not that I have anything against (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All your base are belong to us

(...) When was the last time you saw a home entertainment system that wasn't made in Japan? --DaveL (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Flogs, flogging, floggers, brags, bragging, braggers

(...) writes: (...) Lar, That may be because you have the ability to come off as sarcastic even when you might be sincere. Todd first took it as sincerity then after re-reading he took it as sarcasm. Perhaps your diction was a little too vague, even (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions

I'd like to kick off a discussion about the current state of the newsgroup structure here -- missing groups, unnecessary, groups, annoyingly or confusingly named groups, etc. The goal of this discussion is to come away with a list of practical (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate) !!

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) I think TLC had ALWAYS violence in their themes: Pirates vs. Kolonists Adventurers vs. Dino`s Rockraiders vs. Rockmonsters etc. etc (exept for technic, at least in the beginning) so, why are the bionicle so 'violent'? they only want to protect (...) (24 years ago, 27-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

So what is worse, Bugs Bunny looking non-violent but being violent, or Bionicle looking violent but being non-violent? I am now reflecting on Power Rangers, and other similar shows where morphing occurs. Characters stay in a non-violent form until (...) (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) If you look at the little movies on the small cd-rom`s and the promotion films on www.bionicle.com you will see that all the toa`s use their "weapons" as tools to get around (24 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) Wow! (...) That's right, Bill! Hey, how about this? Yesterday, I spent the afternoon filling in for the supervisor at the local teen center. This was my first time actually doing a day there (I usually work with the elementary kids). Anyway, (...) (24 years ago, 18-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) I think it also has much to do with the incredibly fragile male ego. The "I wanna see if I can beat him" attitude - the desire to be better than everyone else. Obviously greed and covetousness play a role as well. (...) James started to (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) Mark, It seems we had similar upbringing. I was a NERD in school and got the same taunts from the Beautiful People. I had a close circle of friends, which probably helped. My father actually collected guns (and other weapons) and kept them all (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) "New from Hasbro: It's Rough-n-Ready Mister Greenjeans, with Battle-Action Ploughshare and Corn Husking Power!" You know it's time. We'll make a mint! Does anyone have their phone number? Hey, it's no dumber than 'Pokemon.' best LFB XFUT -> (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) Boy, that takes me back. I'm sure a lot of 'us' were in the NERD category. Some of us still are, but we have long CVs and/or money, so it's somehow okay now. Things really began to change in college. These have been the best twelve years of my (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) I'm not sure if that has as much to do with it as the situation they were in. When I was in high school, I was squarely in the NERD category. The Athletes and the Beautiful People made fun of me and my friends all the time, in any situation or (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) Very well said, James. Violence has certainly become a marketing tool to attract little and big "boys." This leads to your next comment: (...) Biologically speaking, yes, males are wired for conflict (i.e. testosterone). Ironically, I truly (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AIR FUD, or, Cellphone makers liable for air crashes?

(...) I don't have any strong opinions in this matter, but I'll just toss out my main reaction when I read your post. I think that there is quite a qualitative difference between phasing in wireless phone technology (1) and revamping the (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) So's TLC. It's pretty clear these days that a toy company has to incorporate some element of conflict into its product if it's going to sell to the pre-teen market. There is too much graphic exposure to violence nowadays (i.e., videogames), (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AIR FUD, or, Cellphone makers liable for air crashes?

(...) True, but how about the FCC's current strategy of restricting EM emissions to certain frequency ranges? Does the noise that spills out of a Palm Pilot or even a cell phone really cover a wide range of frequencies? However, I believe that the (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AIR FUD, or, Cellphone makers liable for air crashes?

(...) It can be devilishly difficult to properly shield devices. This difficulty is why some electronic products aren't licensed for home use because the manufacturer doesn't want to pay the expense of shielding it properly and then testing it. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  AIR FUD, or, Cellphone makers liable for air crashes?

An article in Wired News today: (URL) strikes me as really odd is that this LA lawyer is expecting to use precedent (not yet?) set in lawsuits against handgun manufacturers, to be applied towards cell phone manufacturers after future air crash (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Bionicle violence?

(...) That reminds me of one of our running jokes for the summit :) Also reminds me of the scripture which says '..and they will beat their swords into plowshares...' or something like that. -Tim (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact