 Off-Topic / Debate / *166 (-10)
  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

Selçuk wrote in message ... (...) [stating] I'm not (...) I am glad I waded through all soap-box crapola... A glimmer of clear thought that cuts to the point, and stays on topic (1). 1. I guess things don't really need to stay on topic, in here of (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

Also sprach Matthew Miller: : Idea -- don't subscribe to lugnet.off-topic.debate. You misunderstand ... I am disappointed that even lugnet has gotten dragged into this perenial usenet flamewar ... I'm not complaining that it's off topic; I realize (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Well I thought I was going to sit this one out - it hits a little too close to home being a PK (1) and all. But what Mike spelled out above seems to pretty well capture my thoughts. I'll add the following rambling... There is no escaping the (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

People have been celebrating winter solstice since well before the start of Judaeism, much less Christianity. The early expropriation of that holiday by the Christian church was one of the greatest marketing ploys of the first millenium. I'm happy (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) How about neither of the above? I think you're the one being divisive, Steve. If you take umbrage at someone pointing out that they're not christian but decided to build a train with Santa on it anyway, you're way off base. Try not to pass (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I'm certainly not an atheist, but if I were to decide to choose "sides" in this very small, very insignificant disagreement, I would have to side with him. Little footnotes at the end of a message just aren't that big a deal, especially worded (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) I don't mention this to be overly agumentative, but the celebration(s) that were common during the Christmas-time of year were around long before Christ. While there were several festivals during the latter half of December in Rome, focusing (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Idea -- don't subscribe to lugnet.off-topic.debate. (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) The various religious debates hold no interest for me, but I actually do read them some time. And I must say, I'd rather see them here than in a general discussion area. In fact, since people will inevitably have these sorts of discussions, (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Neither. I don't think that jumping down Larry's throat because he celebrates Christmas because it's fun, was appropriate in a discussion group about Lego trains. Matt (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact