 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 841
Re: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:45:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Gardosik writes:
Lego/Legos creates brand dilution too, particularly in the usage "I bought
these MegaBlok legos because they were cheaper, and fit with other legos."

Think about God/gods. You talk about God, you're talking about the One
Almighty. You talk about gods, you're contemplating various beings that share
the attribute of divinity, with none of them "owning" the term "god".

Actually, gods exsisted long before your "God" who, when you think about it,
stole the term.

Does God have a name for God? follow up in off-topic.debate if you dare...

My example (perhaps a bad one) aimed to show how a proper noun in the singular
describes something quite differently from a common noun in the plural, or used
generically. See David Zorn's ealier note on "Coke"="cola drink":
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=29057

I personally don't think lego has anything to worry about. I mean, Megabloks? I
wouldn't be all that scared if was them.

I don't think they're too worried about market-share yet. I think they've been
very concerned for a long time about Megabloks (or whoever) being able to label
their competing product as "legos".

--DaveL