 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 627 (-20)
  Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

(...) Dan & Jenn Boger do, yes -- and have done incredibly huge great things in the past few months for the data in the DB. Selçuk Göre and Joshua Delahunty also have access and have done huge great things too. --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

Well, just to throw in $.02 here, I'd be curious to see a clone database, and I might even use it from time to time. However, two things: A. If we view it as Todd & Suz's sandbox, it's their choice. B. If we see them as fulfilling our needs/wants in (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

(...) Oh, certainly!! Neither Todd nor Richard are saying that. I think the inference is that everyone hanging out here is part of the community; but the sandbox itself? Yep, that's Todd and Suz's only. And ultimately, if they decide they don't want (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

(...) I have a real problem with Lugnet being considered Todd and Suzanne's exclusive sandbox -- in reality, it is and it isn't depending on what part we are examining. People contribute time, money, content, scans, etc. It strikes me as a community (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

Hey, I think Todd was being overly polite there (see: Are we being to nice?). What he <b>could</b> have said is: "**** off, this is LUGNET. This is our site. We will host what we want to host. You want register MegaBlocksUG or TycoUG .com? Go ahead, (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database)

(...) Before Todd wears yet another hammering, a quick note in support, feel free to hunt me instead. Contrary to the culture of entitlement popular in the US (you know, I'm owed stuff just 'cause I'm here, ne'er-do-wells protesting 'I have rights' (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) It costs money to run a server. You wanna throw your own money at hosting content related to imitation brands, go right ahead. There are plenty of hosting services. (...) I agree. (...) I'm not against helping people find information about (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) One reason I would like to see a clone database hosted by Lugnet would so that it could have a consistent feel. Todd has gone to a lot of effort to produce a good set database engine, why squander that effort only on LEGO brand sets? If Todd (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) link to that. It doesn't need to be hosted on lugnet.com. (...) Me neither. (...) 152 by my count -- and 144 if you ignore the "Are you paying attention..." thread. But even if it were 1000 -- LUGNET is about LEGO(R) user groups and detailed (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

Yes, I agree with Dan. I think a link to an off-site database or clone portal would be very useful information. Even the rtl LEGO FAQ page had a section of clones information. (URL) no, I find no reason that the database or any other information (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Warning! This post praises MegaBloks...

Dave, I can see thsi piece breaking. You'd have to see it to fully understand, but I'll try to explain. The MB equivilant to to the 1x2 technic hole piece is a little different. In TLG's piece, you can fit the _small_ end into the hole and have it (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) but (...) Blimey, I make a humorous off-the-cuff comment in the Australia newsgroup and next thing I know it's all set to become World War 3 in other groups. Perhaps we should put a warning on the Australian newsgroup along the following lines (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) personally, I think there's no room for such a DB on lugnet. If you want to start up your own DB offsite, then perhaps Todd would put a link from off-topic.clones to your DB - but I don't think it should be on site. (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?

Yep, my first bulk purchase was in the late 70s, so I was around 10 at the time. I still have a couple of accessory packs from that purchase, still unopened ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?

In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes: (snip) (...) My first bulk purchase was in 1986 or so, and was from the UK. Sampsonite here had a crummy selection!. I got, IIRC, 25 quid worth of lego, including the (brand new) double acting pnumatics, and (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Clones Database (was Re: MB sightings)

(...) This seems like an unnecessarily severe attitude to take. I say we should have both a Tyco and a Mega Bloks clones database link from at least the off- topic clone-brands section of Lugnet. If one is interested one can find it; if one is not (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.db.scans)

  Re: Warning! This post praises MegaBloks...

(...) When I finished building the MB USS Kittyhawk (aircraft carrier), I found I had over 60 unused pieces of all shapes and sizes spread over a number of plastic bags (so there is no question of getting an accidental extra whole bag of parts). (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Gender-changing plates -- in new MegaBlocks sets?

(...) There are about a dozen or so in the USS Kitthawk aircraft carrier. All light grey in colour (like most of that set). Kerry (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?

(...) of (...) LEGO (...) are! True, many AFOLs are buying Lego on-line but they are probably a group well-suited to e-tailing. Why? AFOLs will usually know exactly what they want to buy -- they know they want Lego, they know they want certain (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?

(...) But it also depends on having people unload the cartons, unpack the cartons, put the unit packages (which are higher-priced because they have to have "eye appeal") on shelves that mostly have to be located in high-rent districts so they're (...) (24 years ago, 5-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.dear-lego)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact