 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2666
Re: Best-Lock and COBI to merge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 02:22:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Best Lock Group Ltd. Is Pleased to Announce Its Merger with COBI

Wow! That’s big news, and a little surprising. Within the past week or so I’ve wondered aloud how Best-Lock stays afloat and why Cobi has never tried to crack the North American market. This move would render the question, er, mute... 8^)

Cobi, as many in this forum likely know, uses many of the same molds used by the several-years-defunct Block-Men brand, which produced mostly military-themed sets a few years back. Although a poor competitor in terms of piece:price ratio for any given set, the plastic quality was high, and some of the pieces were really cool.

I couldn’t care less whether Best-Lock itself vanishes from the shelves, but if Cobi gets a foothold in the States, I’ll be delighted. I’ve emailed the company several times in the past few years, and they’ve always responded politely but expressed the regret that they couldn’t ship to the US. Some of their Space-themed sets are awesome. Check out the Cobi website here, especially if you read Polish.

Whatever happens, I admit that my loyalties tend to lie with one particular brand, but I’m eager to see how this affects the North American marketplace.

Thanks for the news!

Dave!