 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2440
Re: Get over to Megabloks.com right now!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:24:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ken Dowd wrote:
   Unleash was the only one of the three ‘Spellcasters’ sets that Walmart had also. I was surprised that these sets only come with 4-5 pieces. They appear to be more desk displays (as you noted) rather than construction sets. The Radiax and Solaris Dragons come with what is billed as “2 collectable battle helmets”.

I wonder if this is some kind of swipe at the “collectible masks” market. I’m afraid that it’s lost on me, but if it helps sell some more Dragons, then that’s super.

   1906 Spider-man: I must say the Mega Bloks Superhero figs look really good. One advantage Spidey has over his Lego counterpart is no unsightly stud on top of his head. The vehicle is dissapointing. The legs are one piece with no articulation and the main body of the vehicle sits flat on the table instead of being held a brick height or two above it (which I think would look better).

I can’t say for sure, but these look like the same molds used for the legs in the Blok-Bots Jackal & Scorpion set. It’s a bummer that they’re not articulated, and it’s really surprising that there’s no ground clearance.

   1907 Wolverine: The vehicle is blah, but the fig is cool looking. The best thing about this set is Wolvie’s claws - they are separate from the hands and can be held by any minifig. Right now one of my Alpha Team figs is sporting a fine and dangerous looking pair of claws...

Nice! That was a clever design decision by the folks at MegaBloks. I had a feeling that they’d either hard-mold them to the hands/arms or make two pairs of interchangeable with-claws/without-claws hands, but this is a much better solution.

   1908 The Thing: This is my favorite of the three figs. The sculpt is great! The one problem he has is his torso is so massive that he looks a little silly with his wee little legs. From the box art the vehicle in this set impressed me the least out of the three, but after building it I like it the best. The wings use a hinge made up of four pieces in blue. I don’t know if these are new, but they make a very strong hinge. The vehicle itself is very “swooshable”.

The teeny legs remind me of John Byrne’s of The Thing in the Fantastic Four during the 80’s. I think that this hinge design made its debut in the Power Rangers Hawk Zord, but I don’t own that set and can’t say for sure. I’m glad that the new 2x2 dome piece has shown up in a small set—there are four of them in the ProBuilder Nimitz, but it’s nice to have a less expensive source.

   Also on the shelves: The two new Ninja Turtle sets.
4506 Mutation Garage 135 pieces
4507 Space Lab 120 pieces
Each comes with two figs: a Turtle and an Elite Foot Guard. The package is shaped like a turtle shell and opens up so you can build the set inside. I picked up the Space Lab set. It’s about equivalent with the previous Turtle sets. They retail for (again at Walmart) $12.88.

Thanks very much for this thorough reporting! I’ll keep checking the stores in my region to see what shows up.

Dave!