 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2441
Re: Pokemon Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:10:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bill Connick wrote:
   I was in Meijer over the weekend with my Nephew and was browsing the isle as always. They had many new Mega Bloks products including Pokemon Balls that had Mega Bloks inside. There are 4 different kinds to find. He got Pikachu that can evolve from Pichu. The packaging is great and the little figures turned out quite cute. There is even a game with blocks that you can play to battle your friends.

Alas, the whole Pokemon mythology is a mystery to me. As far as I know, Pikachu is the sound of a voyeur’s sneeze (pause for raucous laughter).

Anyway, I spotted these new Pokemon sets at KMart and grabbed one at random. As it turns out, only Pikachu and Torchic were available, and they had a reasonably similar selection of parts, and I wound up with Torchic. This is apparently some kind of bird in the Pokemon universe, but what do I know?

The set has 90 parts and comes in a two-pieces Pokeball container with the equivalent of a 2x2 round plate on top and bottom, so that it might conceivably be integrated into an MOC of some kind, or I guess you could stack a whole bunch of Pokeballs. The main colors are yellow, tan, and orange, with a surprising array of cool pieces. Among them are the 2x2 corner-round slope bricks, both top and bottom, in orange. These were first seen in the 9777 Enterprise-D, as part of the nacelles’ forward assembly. Also included are the 2x2 round brick (3) and the 2x2 dome (1) in tan; these appeared in 1908 Thing and the 9962 Supersonic Fighter sets, respectively. Other unusual elements are a pair of the new 1x2 45-degree slope with studs, also in tan, and these likewise appeared in the 9962. There’s an unusual 2x2 brick with rounded edges and two studs (a feeble description, but I’ll post a rendering) in tan, and this piece first showed up in the 9789 Air Force Warthog. We also see the new 2x1 45-degree slope in tan, and four of the 2x2 double-round brick (again, crappy description—rendering will follow), and a tan pair of tall slope bricks also seen in the 9789. There’s also four orange 1x3 45-degree double inverse slope brick (rather like 2341) and a tan 1x1 round brick with side studs. Quite a range of pieces for $5.99.

The set also includes a decal sheet and a Pokemon scoring card of some kind, and the instructions list the Pokemon rules (though I can’t tell if it’s for the actual game or for some MegaBloks-specific version thereof). Apparently scoring is important in the game, and to aid in this there’s a silver-gray 6x8 plate and a bunch of 1x1 round bricks in purple, red, yellow, green, dull brass, brick red, dull vertigris, and blue.

I don’t know if I’ll build the Torchic itself, but the pieces make this an attractive set. I might have preferred to have the corner slopes in a color other than orange, but that’s okay. I also don’t know if I’ll pick up any of the other Pokemon sets, so if anyone does so, please post a review.

As of this minute, these Pokemon sets are not featured on the MEGABLOKS website.

Also of note, KMart had the new Marvel sets on the shelf (I bought The Thing) and the new $2.99 three-figure-packs from the Dragons line: 9841, 9842, and 9843.

Dave!