 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2438
Re: Get over to Megabloks.com right now!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:39:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard W. Schamus wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   The Marvel sets are now featured online!

I’ll post more later, once I’ve taken a closer look.

Dave!

I just got back from lunch at Walmart, and held/inspected some of those sets. Then I get back and check out Lugnet, and you report on the MB site update.

My report: I looked at the following sets; 1911, 1916, 1917, and one other set that had a collecter’s tin (don’t know set number). Very cool. MJ definately has a “chest.” And the Venom fig is pretty cool too.

I checked my local Target, but no sign of the Marvel sets. Oddly, they’ve rearranged the construction block aisle now that Christmas has passed, and I don’t even see a mention of the Marvel stuff in the little placeholder labels on the shelf-fronts. On the other hand, maybe they’ll wind up in the aisle where they sell superhero figures. Hmm…

Target did have the new Radiax and Solaris Dragons, as well as the Unleash set, but not the others from that Dragons series. Unleash looks pretty neat and would make a creditable display on a desk, but the Dragon doesn’t appear to be articulated and is of a much smaller scale than conventional MB Dragons.

I picked up a copy of the Ice Outpost and Fire Sentry sets for about $2.50 each on post X-mas clearance, and I’ve got my eye on the Ice Fang set if it survives to the next discount percentage threshold.

Having looked at the MegaBloks site more thoroughly, I pronounce myself to be really looking forward to picking up some of these Marvel sets. I couldn’t care less about the “Tech-Bot” sets, which strike me as the latest embodiment of this twice- (or thrice-)failed figure concept in this scale, but maybe they’ll get lucky this time. I’m also not really interested in the superhero vehicles per se, but I’m glad that the figures will apparently be available in comparatively inexpensive sets.

Wolverine’s claws appear to be some kind of snap-on piece with a minifig-standard gripping handle, but I could be wrong. Spiderman looks cool, just as he did on the preview we saw here a few weeks ago, but The Thing looks amazing! Whoever did the sculpt on that one should get a bonus.

Thanks for the sighting info, Richard!

Dave!