 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 225
224  |  226
Subject:
Mega-Blocks - a new experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 03:40:44 GMT

I recently returned from a visit in CA (had a great time, thanks for asking :)
in which, among other things, I visited my uncle + aunt + two younger cousins.
The older of them had a lego bucket in her room, or so it seemed. Upon closer
inspection, I found it was actually a Mega-Blocks bucket! I was pretty
surprised, since this was my first encounter with clone-brands (I mean an
opened box).
I was curious to see the qualities of these bricks, so the next day I sat down
and tried to connect these unknown blocks. Some of them were indeed Mega--
mega-sized, many juniorized pieces (this was some fantasy/house girl bucket)
though many plain bricks too. Also very much pastel colored. I liked the
colors - lt blue, lt purple, turqoise aside from TLC's normal pink and tiny
bit of purple in Belville sets. Normally I'd object to such generalization,
but lego does it too, so I can't hold grudge against Mega-Blocks for that.
My cousin and I built all morning (well, I did most of the building) - first a
playground, then we added a house next to it, and a "pool" too.

The clone bricks (blocks?) seem to be less compatible with each other and the
baseplate than lego's with each other. I mean that they some of them don't
attach as easily, and some fall apart easily.
The figures seemed weird compared to minifigs, and they were caucasian (not
weird - just a change from yellow). But I'm sure minifigs seem even weirder if
you're not used to them...

I'm not sure I liked the Mega-Blocks, but there were definitely some nice
parts to this bargain - the colors, the furniture (though pre-fab) was nice,
etc. I'm guessing the price was lower too.

I'm interested - why do you clone-brand-fans use clone brands? How did you get
around to use them?

-Shiri