 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 229
Re: Mega-Blocks - a new experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:04:53 GMT

Shiri wrote:

The clone bricks (blocks?) seem to be less compatible with each other and the
baseplate than lego's with each other. I mean that they some of them don't
attach as easily, and some fall apart easily.

That's my experince, too. I have tried MegaBloks, Cuboville, and Byggis, and I
also have a Tyco phone.
IMO, MegaBloks are least compatible, Tyco a little better, and Byggis and
Cuboville are closest to the Real Thing.
I also have a lot of black standard bricks of unknown brand. They are *very* near
Lego...

I don't count the clone Kloss, because it's way too uncompatible.
( http://home.swipnet.se/~w-20413/pix/kloss.jpg )

It would be interesting to try Best-Lock...

The figures seemed weird compared to minifigs, and they were caucasian (not
weird - just a change from yellow). But I'm sure minifigs seem even weirder if
you're not used to them...

I've always hated TLG's minifigs, and I find no reason not to despise MB's, too.
Alright, the skin colour is a little bit more natural and it's not the same
foolish grin on their faces.

I'm not sure I liked the Mega-Blocks, but there were definitely some nice
parts to this bargain - the colors, the furniture (though pre-fab) was nice,
etc. I'm guessing the price was lower too.

The best with MB - at least the set I bought - is the multitude of clear standard
bricks, the clear dark blue is fantastic with a lamp inside!

I'm interested - why do you clone-brand-fans use clone brands? How did you get
around to use them?

-Shiri

Well, I'm not really a fan, but I'm curious... Like I said before, I use clone
bricks for hacking: Inserting micro-switches, drilling cable tunnels and such
crimes I never ever would commit against a Lego part.
Also, I like some non-TLG colours and sometimes also shapes.

/Tore