 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 230
Re: Mega-Blocks - a new experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:30:43 GMT

The clone bricks (blocks?) seem to be less compatible with each other and
the baseplate than lego's with each other. I mean that they some of them
don't attach as easily, and some fall apart easily.

  I've been lucky, then, because I've built the newer Battleship and Desert
Assault (whatever it's called) by MegaBloks, and I've found the brick grip-
strength sufficient to lift each entire model by a single 2x4 brick's
attachment.

That's my experince, too. I have tried MegaBloks, Cuboville, and Byggis, and I
also have a Tyco phone.
IMO, MegaBloks are least compatible, Tyco a little better, and Byggis and
Cuboville are closest to the Real Thing.
I also have a lot of black standard bricks of unknown brand. They are *very*
near Lego...

  Block-Men are fairly close, and they seem to use higher-quality plastic than
MegaBloks.  Their sand colored bricks are very close to Lego and in greater
piece-per-set proportions, too.  My only complaint against Block-Men is that
they're not a great dollar value, especially as a clone.

It would be interesting to try Best-Lock...

  The studs on Best-Lock bricks are just a little taller than Lego studs, so
Lego plates won't attach properly.  In addition, I've found that Best-Lock
doesn't grip Lego very well, either.

     Dave!