 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2191
Re: Mega Bloks: ProBuilder Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:30:59 GMT

Thanks Dave!

Normally I look up old posts, but this time I skipped! There seems to be
quite a few posts on the MegaBloks vs Lego brands. After reading some I
think it may be worth springing a few dollars for the ProBuilder series.

BTW: KBToys.com has the Sea Wolf for less than TRU and has shipping free for
certain purchase amounts.

- Ram -

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
Hi All!

Till now I have spend mega bucks on Lego sets. Looking around Mega Bloks
seem to have some interesting sets. Since I am still wary of the "Other"
stuff. I was wondering if the folks having both Lego and Mega Bloks can
provide their feedback.

I was looking especially at the ProBuilder series -- Sea Wolf and M1A1
Abrams Tank. Can anyone share their experiences with those sets?

Hi Ram!

I haven't yet purchased the Sea Wolf, but now would be a good time to buy • it.
It originally retailed for $79.99, but TRU has had it on sale for $39.97 • for a
while due to overstock.  With over 2100 parts, it's a good piece:price • ratio at
the very least, with an abundance of gray and dark gray, not to mention a • good
quantity of red 2x2 round bricks.  Also included are a handful of tiny • (smaller
than minifig scale) crew members, a large, one-piece sound brick, and a
propeller/waterscrew unique to this set.  Previously this set has been
criticized in this forum for not holding together well after construction, • but I
can't comment on that other than to say I haven't had that problem with • other
ProBuilder sets released the same year.

Chris Gray has an extensive offering of MEGABLOKS reviews on his fine • website,
but unfortunately the Sea Wolf is not yet among the sets he's covered. • However,
he has reviewed the Abrams tank here:

http://www.graysage.com/cg/Toys/Megabloks/ProBuilder/M1A1AbramsTank/index.html

I own a copy of this kit, and along with Chris' review I would highlight • the
several new elements featured in the set:

a pair of turntable-mounted machine guns (50 cal?) in black
a pair of hinged hatch covers in tan
numerous armor panels (mounted on two-thirds-height 2x8 bricks) in tan
large (sort of juniorized) 120MM gun barrel in tan
a pair of treads in black
numerous wheel-hubs in dark gray
numerous axle mounts in tan

I got this one on sale at Target a few months ago for $10.99, IIRC.  Best • of
all, in my opinion, is that the Abrams tank nicely complements the • ProBuilder
Bradley vehicle:
http://www.megabloks.com/eng/products/description.php?iID=176&subCat=1#

The most common complaints against MEGABLOKS deal with the quality of the
plastic and the strength of the grip between bricks.  I haven't had much • trouble
with either of these shortcomings, but some people really notice the • difference.
If the differences don't bother you, then the piece:price ratio alone • makes the
sets worth considering.  Besides which, the design of the sets is as cool • as
anything LEGO has put out for quite a few years.

Dave!