 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2162
Re: Two new clone brick lines....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:38:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Daniel Barrett wrote:
I've recently come across two different "brick construction systems".

First is X Blocks Construction system, I saw an ad for this in Ultimate
Fantastic Four, Issue #4. It looks like Marvel Comics is doing their own line
based on Spiderman and the Hulk comics. I doesn't look Lego compatible. I
googled X-blocks but didn't have any luck. It says this product will be
available at TRU and Sears Wishbook.

Until recently, my local TRU had the Hulk and Spider-Man playsets, but they've
disappeared since then.  You're right--they're not compatible, and at a glance
they don't look like they'd have much clutch power to hold bricks together.
Since it's been demonstrated that LEGO no longer holds an exclusive patent on
the studs-and-tubes design, you have to wonder why the company didn't go the
extra mile and make the sets truly compatible.

I gave a brief discussion of the Hulk set here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=2044

Second is C3 Construction, I saw an ad for this line in Previews, May 2004,
pages 459, 460, 461. This is DC Comics based, Superman and Batman. It's scaled
to the Minimates figures and looks like a Lego clone. It is "compatible with
other leading brick-style building toys." I googled this also with better
results:

<http://www.toymania.com/toyshows/tf2004/playalong4.shtml>

Jeff Szklennik mentioned these here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=2093, but I believe that this
is the first formal online presentation of them.  That reminds me--there was a
small picture in a recent Toyfair magazine, but I only leafed through the mag at
a grocery store, so I didn't get any useful info.

What do clone fans think about these?  The sets look cool, but some of the
elements appear to be direct copies of existing (and, presumably, protected)
LEGO parts.  The Batcave has spindled fence elements (straight and curved), the
2x4 slope bricks as well as a neon green panel element that seem likely to be
still under patent.  But the sets also appear to include elements never (or at
least not yet) introduced by LEGO.  Hmm...

I have to say that I hate the minifig design, though.

Dave!